- What is your educational and volunteer background?
After earning a Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical Engineering and a Master of Science in Computer Science from Stevens Institute of Technology, I earned a Masters Certificate in Project Management from George Washington University.
- Volunteer Work
Since my children are grown and my career is established, I have been gradually able to volunteer more of my time to our community on the Municipal Alliance Committee (MAC), the Denville Beautification Committee and the Denville Recreation Committee, helping on the Senior Socials, Project Playground 2.0, and KIDS Try-Harder -Athlon.
At work, I also do volunteer work with our Women’s Network. We recently had an event to make dog and cat toys for St Hubert’s Animal Welfare Center.
- Why did you choose to run for mayor/council?
I love living here. It was an amazing environment for my children to grow up in and I want to make sure Denville stays this way and gets even better. I want to do my part and get more involved to keep our community moving on the positive trajectory that we are on.
- What do you feel is the biggest issue facing Denville today?
- Flooding – As an engineer, I’m very interested in the study being performed by the Army Corp of Engineers and their recommendations. I look forward to being a part of the flood mitigation process.
- Affordable Housing– We need to raise awareness about the state requirements on Affordable Housing. It is a very complicated and misunderstood state requirement. As I’ve gone door to door I know that Affordable Housing is on the top of people’s minds. We need to come up with creative solutions that enable us to meet the state requirements while protecting Denville’s interests.
- Why did you decide to run now?
The more I volunteer for the town the more rewarding I find it. I now have the time and would like to share my talents and expertise with the community that has given my family so much.
I’ve seen what a positive influence all the volunteers have had on this town throughout the years and I want to do more.
- What specific skills will you bring to the table if elected/re-elected?
I’m a problem solver. Not sure if it’s from my training as an engineer or from my job as a Project manager or maybe it’s just my nature. I’m good at breaking problems down into pieces. This helps to get to the root of the issue we are trying to solve and makes the problem solving a little easier.
At work, I’m used to dealing with complex technical solutions and explaining them to non-technical people. This gives me a hand up in being able to communicate complex issues in an understandable way.
As a project manager, I’m also experienced in managing large financial budgets and projects.
- What new programs or initiatives would you like to start if elected/re-elected?
Increase communications with the community. There are so many great things going on in Denville that the greater community is not aware of. Being in IT, I know that people consume information in different ways. I would like to explore how the Township can make the information available in different formats.
- What are you passionate about?
Community connections. Living over by Rt 10 it’s easy to feel disconnected from the center of town. I am so excited about the initiation of the new trails. I’ve been to some new housing developments in Texas, where my brother lives, and they all have interconnecting paths all over their town. The kids are safer because they can ride their bikes to their friend’s house and stay off the roads. I’m looking forward to the day I can ride my bike to Denville Dairy on paths off the highway.
- What is the best thing about Denville?
The people. We all care about this town. I see it in all the volunteers at the committee meetings and at every door I knock on. So many people volunteer to make sure we are taking care of the whole community, from the playgrounds for the children, to the planters and public gardens that make downtown beautiful and the senior socials and yoga classes. The list goes on and on.
- What are your hobbies/interests?
- Gardening – My backyard has a lot of shade, not to mention ground hogs and deer, so I get my satisfaction from working on the Beautification Committee.
- Fixing things – My daughter jokes that I’m not happy unless I’m working on a project to improve something.
- Travel – Experiencing new cultures and FOOD.
- What is your professional background?
Technology Program and Project Manager in the Pharmaceutical industry. I work in a very matrix managed environment. What this means is that I lead a team of people who don’t directly report to me. We work together to achieve the company’s objectives. Since none of them report directly to me, I must use networking, negotiation and influence to get things done.